Monday, March 16, 2015

Enough

Wow, either I've been exceptionally lazy when it comes to my blog lately or my boys haven't given me much to blog about, probably a little of both.  Things in our house are slowing down a bit and just this past week the weather brightened, a lot!  We've been enjoying the nice weather and a slower schedule.  This past weekend my mom treated my sister and I and took us to the "Hearts At Home" conference.  This is the second time I've gone and it never disappoints.  I seem to walk away from the conference feeling refreshed, motivated and inspired.  I took four workshops and all four were fabulous.  As I concluded my day and reflected on what I had learned I picked up on a common theme that I heard in all of my work shops - Slow down!  My mom and Kim said they picked up on the same theme.  I titled my blog "Enough" because one workshop I took was entitled, "The Power of Enough."   It related to money and asked the question, when is enough, enough?  I have really thought about that question and I hope I continue to think about it in the months to come.  It is my hope that I'm able to change some not so becoming habits I've established with myself and my boys.  In my opinion, this world of raising kids is different for my generation of women than any other generation.  We've been told that in order for our kids to be successful they need to be in every activity and when they get involved in those activities, in order to be the "best" we need to sign them up for extra lessons on the side so they can "craft" their game.  Our kids are bombarded with social media which makes them well aware of what other kids are doing, what they have and so on.  And now that common core is here (don't even get me started) our kids are being labeled and pin holed into a category that tells them they aren't good enough. Parenting is hard enough as it is.  I don't know what the answer is but from my own perspective I do know it's hard work and I've only been given a short amount of time to mold my two.  I heard an excellent quote over the weekend which I will share, "I will pour myself into this task of disciplining and shepherding my children.  I will not waste this precious time that has been given to me.  I will forsake the "good" to have time for the BEST and not worry about what others may think."  This quote was written by a Joy somebody.  I take no credit in it but wow, it was one powerful quote for me! 

No comments: