Monday, May 4, 2015

Bittersweet moment

Last night as I was tucking Nick into bed, he seemed antsy (yes, more antsy than usual), like he was just itching to talk to me about something.  However, he didn't say much so I tucked him into bed and off I went.  About an hour later he reappeared and told me he needed to talk to me.  I was annoyed.  I was ready for bed myself and I had already spent time putting this boy to bed.  What did he want now?  I followed him to his room where he broke down in tears.  I was shocked.  He cried that he didn't want third grade to end, that he wished these last three weeks of school would slow down so he could enjoy the last of what his favorite grade had to offer.  He asked me over and over through his tears how fourth grade was going to be.  I asked him if he knew what the word bittersweet meant?  He didn't.  I explained to him that in life, all things, good things too, must come to an end and that's the way it should be which often times can make us sad and happy.  I told Nick that my life as I know it will be different one day.  I won't have my boys living under the same roof with me forever because that's not the way it's supposed to be.  They are supposed to get older, grow up and make lives of their own and moving up a grade level is all part of that process.  I pointed out all the positives that happened this year for Nick (and there are many) and that I have no doubt he'll do just fine in fourth grade.  He smiled, hugged Cole a little tighter and seemed content to rest in the knowledge that the conclusion of third grade is just a bittersweet moment, not only for him but for his momma too. 

No comments: