Sunday, August 30, 2015

A few of my favorite things - at the moment anyway

This weekend is our last quiet weekend before football games start on Saturday (Nick) and Sunday (Jay).  The four of us hung around at home and things were just quiet which was really refreshing.  Through every season things change.  That becomes more and more clear as I age.  It's a good thing but it takes some transitioning.  I just finished reading two fabulous books (my first favorite thing).  I love books and I love to read.  Anyone who loves to read knows that to adore every single book you read isn't possible which is why my mom and I like to be in a book club.  Sure we may not "love" every single book but we're always glad we were exposed to them.  I just read two books and I delighted in them.  The first was given to me by my dear friend, Mary.  It was entitled, "Bread and Wine."  I devoured the book and it was an added bonus knowing it was a gift from Mary and she had me in mind when she gave it to me.  The second book I just read which might just be in the top five favorite books I've ever read is "The Unlikely Disciple."  One of my favorite things about this book is my daily conversations I would have with my mom about this book.  She read the book also and was always about 50 pages ahead of me.  We'd spend a good 15 minutes a day talking about the book.  I am still thinking about that book and I get the pleasure of hearing the author talk about his book very soon.  I can't wait.  Thirdly I just started reading the book, "For the Love," by Jen Hatmaker and I'm reading it on my Verizon pad (another one of my fav's).  I am laughing out loud during certain parts of her book and just like the last two books I have read there are certain things Ms. Hatmaker says that ring so true to me; like an ah-ha moment.  My second favorite thing these days is just that, a thing.  It's my dining room table.  I seem to fall in love with things given to me as gifts.  Ha.  My dear friend, Erin, gave us our dining room table.  Erin is my friend who has done many kind things for me and my table is another example.  I insisted we buy the table from her and we settled on a price but I could tell she wasn't comfortable with it but I wasn't comfortable paying nothing for the table.  Two weeks later she sent me my birthday present which was wine glasses (she knows me so well) and I opened what I thought would be my birthday card but instead it was the cash Mike and I paid her for the table.  That Erin is classy!  Love her.  It's a huge, rustic looking table and it easily sits 8 people around it - 10 if we're squeezing in.  Already we've made memories around our table and I love it.  This past March we bought a bench for the table and it was a leap of financial faith (ha) because the bench was expensive but it has proven it was worth every penny.  I treasure our bench.  Finally, my last favorite thing right now is walks with Nick as he rides beside me on his bike.  He never declines an offer of taking a walk/bike ride with me.  Granted he rambles on about four wheeling, fishing and his kayak but I enjoy the company and not a second goes by where I am not aware that my time with him (and Jay too) is precious.  I go back to my original thoughts in this blog: all things change but for now these few simple things and actions are a few of my favorite things. 

No comments: