Friday, November 4, 2016

Go Cubs Go

My dad was and is a huge Cubs fan.  I was raised watching the Cubbies on WGN on Saturday afternoons.  My parents took me to Wrigley Field for ball games when I was a kid.  As I've grown into adulthood, my family isn't as into sports as my dad was.  Sure, the boys play sports and Mike and I enjoy watching them but as far as professional sports and teams go, let's just say we watch when it becomes a really big deal, like it did on Nov. 2.  The Cubs not only made it to the World Series but they won the World Series in what will go down in history as one of the most remarkable come backs!  First the Cubs came back from losing 3 games, then during that final game 7, the Indians tied the game up (in what inning I can't remember) and then rain held off the game for awhile.  It was a real nail biter kind of a game.  Would the Cubbies actually pull it off?  Finally, by 10:00, my blood pressure couldn't take it anymore.  I went to bed but I woke up at 11:00 to check my phone thinking surely the game had ended.  It hadn't!  I couldn't believe it.  It felt like the never ending game 7.  Finally at 11:50 p.m. on Nov. 2 I was jolted out of my sleep by firecrackers (never mind that I thought we were under attack right in my back yard).  Our neighbors behind us let of the most brilliant fireworks display to celebrate an event that hadn't happened in 108 years, The Chicago Cubs won the World Series!  As I always say, I have a love/hate relationship with sports but these past few days it's been nothing but love.  What a joy it's been to see the country so excited and what a welcome diversion it's been from what will be a historical election (next week). 

No comments: