Thursday, March 12, 2009

Strengths

Recently Mike & I attended a conference with Jay's teacher. Based on a questionaire that Mike & I filled out and his teacher filled out, it concluded that Jay is at high risk for ADHD. I debated whether or not to write about this but it's been consuming me for days which has now turned into weeks. At home, Jay really doesn't display any ADD or ADHD characteristics. This is a boy who can sit down on the tile floor for up to an hour and put puzzles together, play a memory game or sit quietly at his lego table and tinker. It wasn't always this way but I've seen a huge growth in Jay's maturity. I could go on and on but the truth is, I just don't know and I'm struggling with that. At this time we have not discussed this with his peditrician. Part of me thinks that if we try the medication and it helps him then we have done just that, helped Jay which is a positive thing but the other part of me is completely baffled based on some of the things I read about ADHD. Jay is a good mix between Mike & I. We both struggled with learning disorders in school and in our adult life we've learned what works for us and what doesn't. I had to laugh because in the recent conference we had with Jay's teacher, I was diligently taking notes (I have trouble processing auditory information) and Mike was listening, processing every word she said. Even a week later Mike could tell you eveything that was discussed in that conference. I, on the other hand, would have to get my notes. My good friend, Mary, reminded me of something very important the other day.............Focus on your strengths! Mike & I would not be where we are today if we hadn't of focused on our strengths. I know for a fact that when I landed my claims job almost 12 years ago that my boss hired me because of my personality. Then, when I recently found out I was accepted for a new job in Public Affiars the first thing this supervisor told my current supervisor was, "Amy was so personable." My personality did it for me again. And something like your personality is so simple, at least it is to me anyway. I'm already trying to get across to Jay that he'll have to work harder than everyone else but as my grandma says...."That's just the way it is." Jay has so many stregthens that I know will lead him throughout his education and later in life.

No comments: