Monday, May 21, 2012

A matter of perspective

I signed Jay up for wrestling camp this week.  Jay is my child who would never the leave house or participate in anything without some gentle encouragement.  It's not because he lacks confidence.  He is just a huge homebody who prefers the comforts of home over anything else.  I signed Jay up for wrestling because it's a contact sport and based on how Jay likes the contact with football I figured he'd like wrestling and the camp is only four night for 90 minutes.  I mean really, it's painless.  So tonight as I was driving Jay to camp he started his litany of complaints.  He didn't understand why he had to "do this dumb camp."  I replied that there was more to life than just four-wheeling and basking in the mud like a pig.  Jay's response......"if only life could be all about that."  Then during camp Jay mouthed to me, "This sucks."  I wasn't sure if I was more concerned over my 4th grader saying sucks or simply not liking the camp.  After camp Jay shocked me by saying he enjoyed the camp.  When I asked him what the problem was, he said......"Some of those moves were just wrong from my perspective."  That response is so Jay!  So here goes to another 3 nights of wrestling camp but the kicker is Nick will be participating tomorrow night!  Wrestling camp is about to get very interesting. 

No comments: