Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Summer, Summer, Summer time

I love summer and all it has to offer!   I love seeing my boys relaxed, sun-kissed, just having fun.  Summer, does however, have some challenges and every summer I learn something - especially as my boys age.  I'm a full time working mom and when the boys were small I found a rock-star daycare provider and the boys went to daycare.  But as they have aged I've had to get more creative.  All my friends tell me I need to check out Pinterest!  I've found it especially tricky during the summer because I work from home.  Last summer I learned I could not have a sitter in my house everyday - for my sanity, the sitter's sanity and the boys.  This summer I have a sitter come to my house two days a week.  The other three days the boys participate in various activities outside the home - with Friday being their favorite.........they get to go to a friends house.  Thank you, Amy Neal!  Certainly the daily schedule I've created is working a lot better than last summer - Hallejah!  What I have learned for next summer is Jay needs to be involved in some kind of organized sport.  He was approached to play baseball this summer but declined and Mike and I supported that decision.  I would have also supported him had he decided to play baseball.  I gently encouraged him to participate in swim team (the kid is like a dart in the water) and he very quickly and stubbornly said NO!  The thing about Jay is he'd be happy staying at home riding his four wheeler (constantly), swimming and getting out to see a movie every now and then.  It's not that he's lazy.  The kid is filled with energy - hence why I want him to be involved in a structured summer sport so he can "filter" that energy.  Next summer I'm going to give him a choice of two different summer sporting activities he can participate in and he'll need to pick.  It won't be pretty.  He'll fight me tooth and nail but I've found that once Jay gets over that initial hump and begins an activity he likes it and learns from it - even if he'd never admit it!

No comments: