Saturday, September 8, 2012

A trying week

This week has been rough for a variety of reasons.  I find there are many balls I have to keep in the air this time of year.  I juggle a full time job (and thank god I do it from home), two active boys transitioning into school and who play sports, trying to keep my house clean and organized and trying to find balance between my schedule and Mike's work schedule.  It's also been difficult because Jay is transitioning back into school.  Since the day Jay was born he has thrived on structure and routine and transitions have always been challenging for him but whoa........5th grade has really bit all of us in the heine.  I'm trying to take a step back and let Jay advocate for himself.  He's had a few missed homework assignments and I think he's just trying to adjust to all the balls he has to keep in the air for 5th grade but such is life.  Fifth grade is only preparing him for what is to come in middle school.  And on top of everything it feels like 4th grade never even happened.  I learned an important lesson this week for next summer....TUTORING!  I am telling myself daily to remain patient......October will be here soon.  Plus Jay is fighting tooth and nail every day for more independence.  We've had some break downs in communication this week, tears over homework and lots and lots of attitude.  Thank heavens for my mother.  All of this "drama" with Jay is nothing she didn't experience with me and I know we'll get through this school stuff but the fact is school is never going to be remotely easy for Jay.  But as most of us know if you don't struggle or even fail (and I'm not saying Jay is going to fail at school b/c he isn't) at something then you can never really succeed in life.  I spend a lot of time on my knees praying for both my boys but this week many of my prayers have been focused on Jay and his struggles along with mine as his mother.  I am ready to conquer next week and it can only get better, right?

No comments: