Thursday, October 25, 2012

R.C

By reading the title of my blog you might think the content of my blog will be about a cola product but no my friends it is not.  My creative juices are not flowing today so in order to remember what I was going to write about I decided to simply abbreviate it.  The "R" is for Reading and the "C" is for conferences. 
As I've written many times in my blog reading is not Jay's thing.  He struggles with it so therefore he doesn't like to read and after the month we had in September I was feeling really defeated in terms of trying to get him excited to read.  Now that we're into October I still can't say Jay is "excited" to read but that being said I've seen a huge improvement.  He's reading daily and appears to enjoy what he's reading.  He's able to tell me what his current book (Jack & Me) is about and everyday I notice he's read more pages than the day before.  I'm one pleased momma about this. 
On Tuesday this week we had conferences for Jay and Nick.  Nick's first grade teacher is on bed rest and was only able to teach the first 3 weeks of school.  She is gone until at least March.  For anyone wondering.......Yes, this stresses me out BIG TIME but there is nothing I can do about it.  The school and the substitute is doing their best but I worry, boy do I worry especially since first grade is a pivotal year.  But as I know from having an older child (who is struggled through school) everything works out - what seems a big deal at the time always has a way of working itself out.  Nick's conference was okay.  I am struggling with several things with Nick which I'm not comfortable putting in a blog right now.  L.D. is on every one's radar right now (where Nick is concerned) and we will soon be starting all the processes we went through with Jay.  The only thing I do know for certain is Nick's deficits appear to be completely different from Jay's - what those are, however, is what we have to figure out. 
Jay's conference was excellent so excellent I shed a tear during his conference.  I couldn't help it and I quickly pulled myself together.  It's been a long road for us and Jay with many, many more ahead but Jay is going to do just fine.  I'm so thankful for the teachers he's had and I'm especially grateful for his LD teacher, Mrs. J.  She's provided Jay with extra help since 3rd grade and no matter what she has approached every situation from a positive perspective.  She said Jay is the student that's been with her the longest and she will truly miss him next year (when he goes to middle school).  I know I will truly miss her. 

No comments: