Sunday, August 25, 2013

The first week of school

We got through the first week of school with no major catastrophes.  Ha!  I remember when I started middle school I dropped my lunch all over - major drama to a middle school girl.  The worst thing that happened to Jay was his locker isn't working and as of Friday it still wasn't fixed.  But other than his locker, all is good.  Jay came home on Monday after school and announced he thought 6th grade was going to be his best year ever!  He made a new friend this week, is catching the bus at the elementary school out to the middle school each day, staying somewhat organized (Yes, improvement is needed in this area) and attending cross country practice after school for 2 hours everyday.  On Thursday he ran his mile in 7 minutes and 21 seconds - quite impressive if you ask this momma.  This entire week has really been more of an adjustment for me than Jay.  I just don't see him as often as I'm use to and I miss him.  I know, I know........I was the one who couldn't wait to see the boys back in school but it was more due to the fighting between the two of them than anything else and speaking of the fighting, it's a lot better but mostly because the boys just don't see each other as often which makes me sad as I write that.  Moving on to Mr. Nick and how he is doing.  His first week went really well.  He likes his teacher and tells me that Math is really, really fun!  He has flag football practice twice a week and the plays that come along with football might take a little longer for Nick to get the hang of.  I still think his heart is with soccer but we'll see how the season of football plays out.  Once again though I see Nick's big heart shine through in everything he does.  I noticed during practices that if he sees one of his teammates down he gives them a hand up each and every time.  The really nice thing when Nick gets home from school I have 2.5 hours with him, one on one.  We get his homework done and then he usually heads outside to play with his neighbor friend, Mason.  I remember I was so aware last year that it was the final year my boys would ever be in the same school together again.  All things change and my boys are just getting started with the changes that will take place through the years.  It's a good reminder to use my time with them wisely and cherish the moments we have together as a family of four.

No comments: