Saturday, May 14, 2016

Road maps

School has been challenging for my boys.  I can't say which boy isn't been hardest for because their challenges are unique.  On the other hand their blessings are unique too.  What I can tell you is they are both determined boys and their hard work has paid off.  I'm reminded of Tim McGraw's new song, "Humble and Kind."  There is a line in the song that goes something like this, "when the work you put in is realized, let yourself feel the pride but always stay humble and kind."  It goes on to say, "when you get where you're goin, don't forget to turn back around."  I love these lines because they are so true for my family right now.  While I realize the boys are only in 4th and 8th grade and there are still many, many steep climbs ahead, I am proud of how far they've come.  I'm proud of how far we've come as a family, and there is certainly a line of people who have helped Mike and I get through the last six months.  So to finally get to my point of this blog, Nick got accepted as a student council member next school year!  Earlier this year he expressed an interest in applying for student council.  In April he wrote an essay and it was exceptional (I'm just sayin').  Yesterday he bounced off the bus and told me the good news!  I'm here to tell you that if I would have had this small snippet when this boy was in 2nd grade, it would have given me some assurance that Nick would make it through his elementary school years!  But of course we aren't given a crystal balls for our futures.  I'm finding that in every situation and every season I just have to trust God.  It's taken me 42 years but God knows I'm a slow learner (Ha).  He's given me lots of grace through the years!  I am finding that even during this season of my life with Mike and his new business that I have no choice but to trust.  We both laugh that we wish God would provide us with a small business road map.  Wouldn't it be nice if He gave us a parenting road map too?  Since that isn't going to happen, I'll keep plugging along and enjoying the daily blessings of this road called motherhood. 

No comments: