Saturday, May 28, 2016

Getting comfortable with being uncomfortable

When Mike and I decided that he would start his own business, we knew it would be a steep climb.  There isn't too many things that we've encountered that have thrown us for a loop.  It's all hard and it's all expensive.  People tell us it will take a good year or two for Mike to establish a solid business and we are finding word of mouth is everything.  Right now Mike has no set schedule and he is slowly getting comfortable with that but he doesn't like it.  So, when people ask me how Mike is doing and how the business is going, I always tell people that Mike is just trying to get comfortable
with being uncomfortable.  We have completely changed how we do and look at things.  No longer does Mike get a steady bi weekly pay check.  No longer does Mike get up at 5:00 to report to work by 6:30.  No longer does Mike have to process inventory, now he has to buy the inventory!  Just this week Mike got his van design and it looks great!  But as I was pulling out of my driveway yesterday I thought to myself, what if someone had a crystal ball and had showed me a year ago the simple picture of the words, "Cornerstone Custom Carpentry" on a white van parked in my very own driveway, what in the world would I have thought was going on?  I would have guessed that perhaps Mike finally agreed to hire someone to finish the trim in our house.  Never would I have ever guessed that Mike would have lost his job, accepted Christ and started his own business, naming it Cornerstone Custom Carpentry.  NEVER. IN. MY. WILDEST. DREAMS!  Mike and I but especially Mike is cautiously optimistic about this new adventure.  Although I know the next 12 months is uncertain in terms of how much work Mike will have and how much money he'll be able to generate.  Another challenge is the services he provides.  His business encompasses three services so it's hard to know which service will require the most of his time and how he'll juggle all three of them.  He's finding the wood repair and restoration service is his favorite service.  Every time I see Mike in action with a customer I am comforted in knowing he's truly doing what God intended for him.  Mike is a natural and I'm not just saying that because I'm his wife.  He knows what he's doing and he does it well and he's so genuine, honest and hard working and all of that comes through in his interactions with customers.  So for now we will get comfortable with being uncomfortable and maybe, just maybe, I can say that in a year from now there will be things about this business I could have never imagined today as I write this blog! 

No comments: