Thursday, July 14, 2016

Tic...Toc

You know how everyone always says the summers go way too fast?  Well, I am not feeling that way this summer.  The month of July is going entirely too slow for my liking.  Being laid up with a bum leg, two boys, and a husband trying to launch a business is not how I envisioned my summer going but it's my new reality.  Another reality is I'm not handling the situation well at all.  I'm frustrated, agitated, crabby and if you didn't love me, you'd have no desire to be around me right now.  My mom called me twice yesterday and I had to give her credit for calling me twice in one day.  I'm hard to take these days.  The boys and I are spending our days literally staring at each other in the living room, while Mike works.  I spend my days pulling myself up and down the steps to go to work (when my internet decides to work) and putting out fights between the boys.  My family and friends are shocked at how badly I'm handling the situation and quite frankly, I'm a little shocked myself.  I try to remind myself that this is only temporary....next month at this time I should be mobile (with a boot) and I'm reminded of what the bible tells me, be thankful in all things.  So, here goes.  I'm thankful I work from home as I'm not sure how I'd be getting myself to an office everyday.  I'm thankful this happened to me and not Mike.  An injury like this would have shut down his business for months.  I'm thankful for my mother who not only endures daily rants but she's constantly trying to think of ways to improve my days. I'm thankful the boys are 10 and 14.  They are helpful to me and if I had small children I'd need someone to come in during the day to take care of them.  And most importantly I'm thankful this is only temporary.  I've thought of our military men and women who come home with permanent disabilities.  I've thought of my dad, whose lived changed forever when he was 44 years old.  One thing that isn't surprising to me (or to anyone else who knows me) is I am trying to learn something from this experience.  What I've learned thus far is to never take your health or your mobility for granted.  I've learned that in the future I must be way more mindful of what I'm doing.  I will probably be a big party pooper after this experience.  I will never get on a trampoline or bike again, or anything that I could get injured on - ever!  And once again, my impulsivity got the best of me.  I thought I was past conquering my impulsivity but clearly I'm not and I'm going to be more aware of that in the future.  So until I get this dumb cast off I'll keep keeping on! 

No comments: