Friday, July 29, 2016

I'm such a clot.....in a boot

This week is one that I will never forget.  On July 25 at around 3pm I started to have some chest pain.  I've had chest pain before and it was a virus.  When I went to bed on July 25 I figured I had pulled a muscle in my chest from using my crutches.  All day Tuesday it annoyed me and the "pulled muscle" seemed to get worse.  My friend, Jami, brought me her muscle relaxers and Mike suggested I lay on the floor and stretch my body out, which I did.  As the pain increased I didn't pray, it's true, but I would have short conversations with God that if something was really wrong to make the pain more intense or I'd continue to think I had pulled a muscle, even though that was painful enough.  On Tuesday at 9:30 p.m. I woke up to the most excruciating pain.  I compare it to gall bladder pain - it was through the roof painful.  Our boys were gone (thank goodness) and I came out to the living room, on my scooter and in my cast, crying hysterically.  You have to know Mike.  He doesn't get too worked up about anything.  He asked me what I wanted to do and I just kept feeling so stupid.  We had just made a trip the ER for my ankle and our medical bills were piling up and knowing we were living on one income I just didn't think it was an expense we needed to incur (for a pulled muscle) so I got myself put together, propped myself in my chair and tried to get some sleep while Mike slept next to me on the couch.  I woke up on Wednesday, July 27 and it took every last ounce of energy I had to take a shower and put myself together.  Not only was I still non weight bearing in a cast but my chest was killing me.  I could hardly catch my breath.  It was on Wednesday morning that I knew I had to see my doctor.  I made an appointment and Mike took me.  My doctor took one look at my legs (the right had swelled) and after discussing my symptoms he was certain I had a blood clot.  An ultra sound confirmed I had the clot in my leg which had moved to the lung.  I was put on blood thinners and I'm told I'll be on blood thinners for 6 mos.  Here it is Friday, July 29 and I feel so much better, like 100 times better.  I also got put in a boot today so I feel a little more free and clean.  I can't fully weight bear but I'm into the next stage of recovery and I'm thankful for that.  My doctor told me today my xrays looked perfect - a bright spot to a hard week.  I will spend more time in the weeks to come sharing what I've learned on this journey but I will say this, my orthopedic doctor gave all the credit to my primary care doctor for saving my life and I am thankful to my primary doctor for not missing a beat but I give all the praise to God!  I give God all the glory.  If my pain hadn't intensified I would have continued to ignore the pain and that's an outcome I still can't wrap my head around. 

No comments: