Monday, April 24, 2017

The Harvest

Any mother in the trenches with a teenager will tell you that it's hard work, and quite honestly it's not all that enjoyable.  Often times when I tell people I'm raising two boys and one of then is a teenager, they usually pat me on the shoulder and reassure me that I will survive.  During my daily conversation with my mom today, it was out of the blue when she said she was often in despair when raising the teenage me.  That is exactly how I feel these days - despair.  Jay shares absolutely nothing with me.  I annoy him.  He thinks I know nothing.  Most days I don't know what to say to him and it's very challenging to connect with him at any level.  He complains behind our back to Nick about working (with his dad), but yet works hard for his dad.  All he seems to care about these days is fishing and four wheeling, and I have way too many rules for his liking.  This morning I was able to wrap my arms around him in a hug and it was reciprocated (a small miracle).  It's during a hug or a meaningful conversation (which happens once in a blue moon) that I am reminded to keep moving forward.  It was exactly as my mom said, I feel despair and I wonder how this boy is going to fall in this thing we call life.  A few hours later I was listening to the radio and I heard parenting being compared to a harvest.  You plant, tend, wait and then harvest.  Your harvest will one day come in a healthy, well adjusted adult. 
Galatians 6; 9.......So let us not become tired of doing good; for if we do not give up, the time will come when we will reap the harvest. 

No comments: