Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Nick's friend summer

I was very calculated and intentional with the plans I made for Nick this summer.  In fact once I had all of his plans in place for the entire summer when I took a step back and looked at the calendar I almost gasped as the number of activities I had signed him up for.  That is just like me.  I go from one extreme to another.  Last summer was really bad.  We were adjusting to Mike's new business (which also meant adjusting to a new financial situation) and then I went and broke my ankle.  I didn't sign the boys up for really anything last summer - BIG MISTAKE!  I can still hear Nick saying, "I'm so bored, this summer is so lame" in my head.  In all honesty, it was boring and yes, lame, but hey, I figured I was letting both boys know early on that life is sometimes boring and lame!  Mission accomplished.  So this summer I went a little extreme the other way, however, I think by the end of the summer I will be pleased with how everything played out.  Last week Nick attended a basketball camp at the high school with his friend, Easton.  Easton and Nick also went to play flag football at church last week.  Tomorrow Nick leaves for church camp with his friend, Brandon.  This weekend Nick starts a bible study with his friend, Jacob, and a few other friends from school.  He's taking a rock climbing class with Lauren in July.  He's participating in another mini basketball camp with his friend, Alex.  He's taking a STEM class at our community college with his best buddy, Noah and finally he's ending the month of July at a gun camp with his friend, Brantson.  Oh yeah, he's also making a welding project for the 4h fair in early August and he's finishing up the summer with a week long church camp, and no friend is going with him.  After that camp he'll head right into Cross Country practice and school.  Whew, I got tired just writing all that.  Truly though I am so thankful.  I'm thankful that Nick has a variety of different friends (I think he gets that from his nana) and I'm thankful we are able to send him to all the camps.  Most of all I'm thankful for the sanity it will provide me with!  I'm just saying............

No comments: