Friday, December 29, 2017

2017 Joys and Challenges

As I was looking back through my blog from this past year I am reminded of what a blessed year it was.  We were healthy and happy.  What more can one ask for?  My first joy this year is my mom's health.  She is truly living her best life.  In January I picked her up from the airport.  She had just gotten back from a trip with her grade school friends and as we walked to the baggage terminal she told me she had had it, she was going to lose the weight.  By November, she had reached her goal.  Another joy I had was being able to spend time with my sister this past summer.  We traveled to Myrtle Beach and Alabama.  Our car rides revolved around a lot of laughter, except the last leg of Myrtle when we were ready to strangle Nick - which leads me to another joy.  I loved my vacation in Myrtle with my youngest, and it's a vacation I know Nick will never forget.  It's been a joy to witness Jay as he approaches age 16.  He worked hard this summer, purchased a vehicle in October, and got a B average this semester.  Watching Jay gain more independence and come into his own keeps me inspired to keep moving forward with him, even during the times when he's acting like an unreasonable teenager.  Spending time with Ausili's has been another joy, even though we didn't make it to TN this year.  Every year that goes by I'm so aware our kids are aging.  My heart is always full every time we get together with them.  Mike's business is another joy.  There wasn't one time this past year when I questioned or wondered whether Mike running his own business was the right thing to do.  The work was beyond consistent.  At times it bordered on insanity (see my April blog posts), but I am very thankful for the work that has been provided for Mike, and not just for financial reasons but I truly believe this work is nourishing to his soul.  The beauty of following God's plan is not stressing over things.  I have no idea what His plan is for Mike.  For all I know Mike may be working for someone else next year or maybe he will have hired another person or maybe, just maybe, we will have that building Mike has needed to further his business.  Who knows.  I don't worry about it much.  It will all work out just fine.  One challenge I've had this entire year is time and aging.  Together, they don't mix very well.  I've decided as I age I have got to think things through as to what I'm doing and how I'm doing it and all of that takes time, which I don't have.  I'm a work in progress.  My biggest challenge, however, has been my dad.  My dad's entire situation is just heart breaking and there is nothing anyone can do about it.  He's had a consistent decline this year and when I visit him I never know exactly how I'll find him.  If he's up in his wheelchair he's a little better but most of the time when I visit him he's sound asleep in his bed.  He has no interest in seeing his grands.  He has no interest in me reading to him (because I've tried).  He has no interest in anything, other than sleeping.  I'm comforted knowing my dad knows Jesus.  I know that one he'll be able to laugh, walk and talk but it won't be this side of heaven.  Clearly I have way more joys than I do challenges.  I'm ready for 2018.  Jay will get his license and truly I am excited about that, even though it does come with extra worry.  I am taking a trip with my mom to TX in April.  I am going back to Myrtle in June, although the verdict is still out as to who in my family is joining me.  Faith graduates from high school in May.  I'm never inclined to make resolutions.  My only goals this year is to work, parent, move and pray.

No comments: