Monday, December 4, 2017

My beautiful friend

Yesterday in church I sat by Jenny and two things happened that prompted me to write about her.    First off it's Christmas and our pastor mentioned hand made cross stitched ornaments.  I have no idea why he mentioned them (Again, reference my previous blog, I forget things.  I blame hormones) but I think it was more of a memory, remembering the days when people cross stitched ornaments.  I nudged Jenny and we both smiled.  My tree still has her cross stitched ornaments she made me back when we were young, engaged to our Mike's, and had time to do things like cross stitch.  Then during the service she broke out her reading glasses to read her bible.  I didn't know Jenny had reading glasses.  When did that happen?  Then I chuckled to myself as it reminded me how both of us are aging, but how well Jenny is aging!  She can sure pull off looking quite distinguished in a pair of reading glasses!   Every 43 year old woman should have a friend like Jenny - someone you've grown up with because let's face it, do we truly know who we are in our 20's?  Jenny and I were mostly concerned with making good hamburger helper, cross stitching ornaments (Jenny), watching 90210 and sleeping in on Saturday mornings (after watching 90210 in our apartment on Orr Drive).  We became mothers together, we vacationed together and we know each others families inside and out.  Now I'm witnessing my dear friend as she closes in on Faith's final chapter of high school and I can see it's a reality she's not yet comfortable with, but knows it's going to happen sooner than later.  The two of us have navigated parenting, marriages, our faith, and  jobs together.  In the years to come we'll have to navigate our empty nest together.  Perhaps by that time we can take a breath, sit down with a cosmo (of course), slip on our reading glasses and cross stitch ornaments for our grands!

No comments: