Wednesday, September 16, 2009

What's not to like about Nick?

Nick started at a new daycare/preschool about 5 weeks ago. It was going okay until right after Labor Day. Since that time I've noticed that his teachers really don't have anything nice to say about him and it's starting to annoy me. I've also noticed that when I drop Nick off in the mornings, he's more clingy. In fact, if I linger too long, there could be tears but I know not to linger.
I am the kind of parent who doesn't want someone to sugar coat my children's behavior. However, that being said, there is a balance that one needs to meet. For example, it can't be good that everyday for the last 8 days I get a knot in my stomach when I walk in the doors at the end of the day because I know what's coming........more negativity. I wish his teachers could tell me about his behavior with the sandwich approach. Tell me something positive, something negative and finish it with a positive. I know Nick can be loud and to someone who doesn't love him, it can really get on your nerves but really.......these teachers haven't found one nice thing to say about him in 8 days. Things started off good with one particular teacher and she's the one who now just seems down right annoyed with Nick. That is probably the best way to summarize it. I get the impression that they don't like Nick and he annoys them.
I've been so irritated by how things have gone all week that I'm sending him to Mike's parents house on Friday. When I called John (Mike's dad) to ask if Nick could just come spend a day with them because I felt like he needed a day away from preschool and I also expressed to him that I didn't think Nick's teachers liked him. John's response was, "What, not like Nick, what's not to like about Nick?" Exactly my point. And like my mom always points out.....Nick may talk a lot but we can all be thankful that I have such an expressive 3 year old.

2 comments:

Christy said...

I agree with Grandpa John wholeheartedly!!!!! There is sooo much to LOVE about Nicholas. His smile is enough to melt your heart and listening - and I mean really listening - to his chatter can give you so much insight into how the wonderful the world is through the eyes of an inquisitive 3year old. I am so sad his teachers seem to not "get" him because they are really missing out.

Steph said...

I am so sorry to hear that! I don't know Nick THAT well, but any time I've been around him he makes me laugh. He's such a sweetie! I agree with Aunt Kim!