Saturday, December 19, 2009

My Snow "Adventure"

When we woke up this morning we had snow on the ground, something that always excites the boys but makes me moan in agony! Almost immediately the boys started asking when we could take them outside. Normally this is Mike's job but he was busy working on our fireplace (and I didn't want to interrupt that) so I tried to put a smile on my face as I got the snow gear on me and the boys and out we went. Now before I proceed any further I'd like to point out that everything and I do mean everything I do with my boys turns into a major ordeal. How could a walk in the snow turn into an ordeal? The walk started out okay except Nick insisted on driving his John Deere tractor & Jay wanted to ride his bike. Not wanting to appear as cranky as I felt I agreed. We walked to the beach and the boys played on the ice. Everything up to that point went well. Then it went down hill. Jay wanted to walk all the way around the lake. Sometimes I feel like the boys have way more fun with their dad so not wanting to appear like the "dud" parent once again I agreed, choosing to ignore my gut feeling that it was a bad idea. Once we got out on a county road (which is part of the walk around the lake) Nick's tractor died and I had no cell phone to call Mike and have him pick us up. I admit, my crankiness was coming through at this point. Jay agreed to push the tractor up the hills for me but when he'd complain I was quick to say......"It was your bright idea to walk around the lake," of course sounding bitchy as ever. Nick then proceeded to lose his boot, not once but twice. He cried the second time because his sock got wet, all the while I was pushing his stinking tractor up and down hills, trying desperately to make it home without turning into the wicked witch of the west. Somehow we made it home but I walked pulling that tractor 30 minutes! I was hoping my rear end would be smaller when I got home but no such luck!

No comments: