Thursday, September 23, 2010

Thursday night ritual

Every Thursday night my mom picks Nick up from daycare and drives him into town for swim lessons. Meanwhile, Mike and Jay head out to football practice. I meet my mom at Nick's swim lessons, just in time to watch his entire lesson and relieve my mom. After lessons Nick and I go to Qdoba. We sit in the same place and eat the same food. After we finish dinner we go to the nursing home and visit my dad and here is where it gets to be a little like the movie, "Groundhog Day." Nick usually throws a curve ball at some point and tonight it was him having to pee four times in the course of a 2 hour period. Anyway, I digress.......the same ole, same ole part of our nursing home visit consists of us walking into dad's room and finding him the same position we left him in the Thursday night before. He is sitting in his wheelchair in his black and white pants with his shirt, shoes and socks off, waiting for a nurse to dress him so he can go to bed at 6:30!!! He always huffs around, impatient from waiting for a nurse to get him dressed. I try to remind him that it's not like he's sitting on the toliet - It's 6:30 at night, what kind of a hurry can he possibly be in to get dressed for bed but he always is. But the topper is......every Thursday night when Nick and I come in to find dad in all his "glory," Nick responds the same way by saying, "Grandpa, it really creeps me out when I see you without your shirt on." The other curve ball Nick threw tonight (in addition to having to pee every 30 minutes) was deciding that he needed to poop! He used my dad's potty. Luckily, most people in the home having a hearing problem because Nick proceeded to grunt and carry on and tell us how stinky his poo was! To top it off, on our drive home Nick asked if I could take a shower with him when we got home. I told him that No, I couldn't do that, he was too old for me to take showers with him. He responded by saying (and I quote), "Trust me, Mommy, I won't touch your boobs, trust me." I just have to shake my head over another fun-filled Thursday night.

2 comments:

Steph said...

HA-larious!!!!!!!!!!! Oh gotta love Nick!

Katie said...

BAHAHAHAHAHA!!!