Monday, September 6, 2010

Whatever happened........

I was going to post pictures from our Labor Day weekend but something else hit me for this blog (so look for the Labor Day pictures later this week).
In May my Grandmother passed away. Recently my Aunt Karen gave me some family linens and dishes from my Grandmother and my Great Grandmother. As I went through the boxes I discovered cute little plates with a floral print - kind of like an appetizer plate but I'm sure 60 some years ago they were referred to as something else - some crystal sherbert bowls, Yes, way back then they even had bowls for sherbert and dainty, hand stitched linens. I carefully washed the dishes and found space for them in my cabinet, praying that someday in the near future I would find time to use the dishes - Perhaps a sherbert and wine party for my girlfriends! It got me thinking, whatever happened to the neighborhood women getting together once a week for coffee, whatever happened to eating dessert at every meal (and not being concerned how many calories it is), whatever happened to the formal, hand written notes that my Grandma sent me so many times when I was away at college, whatever happened to dinner parties and whatever happened to time itself? Sometimes I think that when my boys are older I'll have more time to plan dinner parties and make desserts (all things I really like to do) but then I wonder if dinner parties and desserts will be a thing of the past by the time I'll actually have time to experience them. Only time will tell.

No comments: