Monday, November 29, 2010

Mary

If you read my blog you probably know my good friend, Mary. Mary was my college roommate and I love her dearly. About a year ago she sent an email out to her friends asking us to use three words to describe her. My curiousity was peeked but I didn't hesitate in my response. I told her I would use the words, genuine, god fearing and I couldn't quite put this into one word but she has this presence about her, people LOVE her, she is nice to everyone. She treats everyone with kindness. I've gotten into a taxi with her before in Chicago and she's got this gorgeous smile. She'll get into the taxi, greet the taxi cab driver with her stunning smile, ask him how he is doing and tell him where we're going. No matter what kind of a person it is or what kind of mood they are in, Mary always gets them to smile and share some part of their day with us. It's amazing. Mary has never been married and through the years many of her friends have gotten married and had babies (myself included). Mary was always excited for each and every one of us. She knew God had a plan for her and she demonstrated the art of patience. Fast forward to early winter 2010, I remember vividly getting a call from Mary. I was driving the boys to school and I could hear it in her voice, she had found "the one." I kept up with her as winter turned into spring and finally in August I told Mike we had to get to Chicago and meet this John! I had a hunch this was the guy God had meant for Mary. On a warm summer night in August the four of us went out for dinner. I was in the bathroom with Mary and tears filled both of our eyes, it was so obvious, this was the man she was going to marry. This past Friday I visited Mary again. As I walked in the door she announced to me her and John were indeed getting married. Through our tears I listened as she excitedly shared with me that John had proposed in August and they kept the secret to themselves, just the two of them until they announced it to their friends and family over Thanksgiving. They are flying to Maui in a few weeks and getting married. No one is going, it's something special for them. She excitedly told me that with the money they are saving from not having a "big wedding" they are flying first class - How cool is that? So if you read my blog, please pray for their marriage and a safe trip to and from Maui!! Congrats Mary, lots of love to you and John.

No comments: