Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Jay's Apparatus

About a month ago we found out that Jay needed some orthodontic work - Yes, he's only 8! Apparently he has a severe crossbite and we were told it would medically harm him if we waited to do anything so as a parent, what do you do - you dive in head first watching all the money you're spending swirling around you. Yesterday was the first phase in this year long "adventure." Jay got this apparatus glued into his mouth. It is glued into his top back teeth and positions itself right on the roof of his mouth. The goal is to shift his jaw so not only does it impair his speech, make it difficult for him to eat but it's also somewhat painful. I feel so bad for him and I remember quite well what it was like to have those apparatus's in your mouth. My parents were told I needed orthodontic work to help my breathing, aka snoring - Yeah, a lot of good that did! Mike says I can wake up half the neighbor on a good night. Anyway, back to Jay......as I mentioned, his speech is a little impaired by this device and I was dreading him going to school today as I knew someone would probably make fun of him and sure enough, someone did. Jay said kids on the bus made fun of him when they heard him talk and called him dumb! I just cringe when I hear things like this. Instead I put on my serious mom face and acknowledged how Jay felt and told him to ignore those punks (yes, I said punks). So, even though it's freezing cold here, we may just have to make an ice cream run tomorrow and Jay can get whatever size or flavor he wants.

No comments: