Sunday, December 5, 2010

A parenting message

The boys and I went to church today and the message was centered around the commandment, "Honor thy mother and father." Before I go into my story, I should probably give you a brief run-down my older son's attitude! He fights with me every Sunday about going to church. I waste a lot of energy being very frustrated about this but after today, I have decided I'm going to keep on doing what I'm doing and give the rest to the Lord. So, both boys go up for children's time with the minister and when he tells them he wants to talk about the "honor thy mother and father" commandment, Jay rolls his eyes but then makes eye contact with me and gives off one of his best grins - gets me everytime. But as I was looking around at the other children I noticed many of them were listening intently, partipating in the discussion and seemed happy to be there. It annoyed me and I thought to myself, how is it that my kid is the only one up there that looks ticked off? After children's time, the minster delivers a sermon about parenting which I really needed to hear. He said no one is perfect and no one is raising the perfect child - they all do things we don't want them to do, they don't always listen to us and we wonder how or if we'll ever get them raised - then he asked us, are we honorable parents? He said there are 4 things all parents need to tell their children: 1 - that they love them, 2 - that they are proud of them - 3 - that they are good at......(fill in the blank) & 4 - that they are sorry. I tell the boys each day that I love them and I try to tell them the two others frequently & ask anyone, when I'm wrong I have no problem saying I'm sorry. I have apologized to both boys several times. The bottom line is I'm doing the best I can. There is no sense in comparing my life or my children to other's because each of us have our own "fingerprints," if you will. God has different things planned for each of us and I keep thinking that he entrusted me with these two boys - he must have thought I was up for the challenge and the great rewards that come from being their mother.

2 comments:

LOMO Family said...

Thanks for the blog Amy...I needed that today!

Jean said...

I so needed to read that today. We have not been to church in a long time and I know I need to put more emphasis on it. I love what your minister said and I definitely can relate. My patience is not good some days with my two boys. Jordan who is 9 seems to dislike me most days. Thnaks Amy fro sharing and for honesty. It will help me with my boys.