Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My dad, a cell phone and the nursing home

It's been a year since my dad went to live in the nursing home. He adjusted to his new home rather quickly - which is a really good thing. The biggest adjustment for me personally was not being able to call him or vice versa. Because I work full time and I have a commute to and from work, days would go by and I wouldn't make it to the nursing home. It really bugged me and I felt really guilty about it. Recently, I thought it would be a great idea to get my dad a cell phone., that way I could talk to him everyday, even if I couldn't see him. The night I presented it to him he simply couldn't get the hang of it. He'd go to pick up his phone and accidentally hang up on the caller so getting him to try and figure out how to call me seemed like an impossible task. I came home that night feeling defeated, I had such good intentions and it appeared my dad wasn't going to figure out how to use his phone, despite my best efforts to get him a "user friendly" phone. Just the other night I went to visit dad and spent some extra time with him, really showing him how to use his phone. I was pleased to see he was carrying his phone around in his pocket. By the time I left I had a little more confidence that perhaps he had a better handle on how to use it. Any doubts I had were ended today. While I was at work he called me 4 times!!!! The fourth time he called me I choose not to answer it - I was at work, after all - and he left me a voicemail! All four of the calls came within about a 30 minute time frame. Needless to say dad has figured out how to use his phone!

No comments: