Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Mother in law factor

When I went to the Hearts At Home conference a month ago I had the pleasure of hearing Kendra Smiley speak. She doesn't have any fancy degrees, she's just a mom who knows what she's talking about. She also raised three sons. Any woman who successfully raises three sons tends to get my immediate attention. I'm always interested in what advice they "dish out." I received one of Kendra's newsletters last night via email and thought I would share some of her advice about being the mother in law - and she knows what she's talking about. She has three daughter in laws. *We mother in laws must remember that although we rank our children very high on our priority list, we are not ranked that high on theirs. *At best we are in a position under the Lord, their spouse, their kids, and their work. We are in a category Kendra likes to call, "Other good things." *This is not bad. It's what God intended. Genesis 2:24, That is why a man leaves his father and mother and is united to his wife and they become one flesh. *The old adage is true, "A son's a son until he takes a wife. A daughter's a daughter the rest of her life." I'm a common sense type of gal and I gotta tell ya.....I've heard mother's of sons actually say, "There will never be anyone good enough for my boy." HUH???? I'm always dumbfounded by that statement. I know father's of daughters like to joke there will never be anyone good enough for their girls either but come on people. Any one of us who got married and is happily married knows that indeed, wa-la, there was someone good enough for us and what a beautiful person they are and vice versa. I pray daily my boys will marry girls who love the Lord, and are crazy, over the moon for my boys. I also pray for the same characteristics in my boys - that they love the Lord and marry girls they are crazy about. Let's face it, when my children are old enough to get married and make that decision, I've done my job. The rest is up to them, their wives and the Lord. I just pray I can sit back and enjoy the ride as my mother and my mother in law get to do.

1 comment:

Nathan and Megan said...

LOVE this. I so would love to go to that Conference sometime! I have heard the founder speak in Decatur, before & she was GREAT. Thank you for sharing!