Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Communication "styles"

The other night I was driving in the car with Jay.  We were driving through the college campus where I went to college.  I was taking a walk down memory lane and pointing out the buildings I had taken classes in.  Jay asked me what kind of classes I took.  I replied that since my major was communications...........and that is where the conversation ended and switched gears.  Jay immediately gave a big, "EWWWWWWW, why would anyone want to take classes where you had to talk to people?"  And that's my Jay!  On the flip side, in another vehicle across town Mike and Nick were together in Mike's truck.  Keep in mind Mike hadn't been in  car with just Nick in quite some time and Mike did not know about Nick's new "let's spell every word" game that he saves for playing in the car.  When Mike walked into the house that evening he looked like a deer caught in headlights.  I asked him, "So I take it Nick quizzed you on how you spell everything under the sun?"  Mike was exhausted by the time he got home and Mike is so intelligent but he's a bad speller so I'm sure trying to keep up with Nick just about put him over the edge.  I mean picture being trapped in a car with a 5 year old and since we live out of town there are never 5 minute drives!  Everything Nick sees he asks how to spell.  Mike said the two of them had stopped at a gas station and while Mike pumped gas he could hear Nick inside the truck quizzing him relentlessly!  And that my friends is the different communication styles each of my boys possess - God love them and God bless me!  LOL. 

No comments: