Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Nick's quirks

Nick has three things that he's absolutely obsessed about right now.
*Coloring.  He loves it!  My mom got him hooked on the big, giant coloring books.  Any opportunity he has to color for homework assignments, he's all over it.
*Words.  Kindergarten has opened a whole new word world for Nick.  I feel like I'm the new Spelling Bee champion - in Nick's world.  Everywhere we go he's constantly quizzing me on how you spell this or that.  And often times he's spelling things himself.  He sings the color songs in the car - which sends his brother over the edge but I love hearing the innocence of a little 5 year old sing Y-E-L-L-O-W spells yellow.  I spend a lot of time getting quizzed in the car on how to spell all the kid's names in his class.  And easy names he can spell right along with me.   
*Lastly Nick is obsessed with cuffing his jeans - hence the picture above.  Every morning he meticulously cuffs his pants so they are just right.  Often times he leaves for school looking like he's ready for  a flood but I don't have the heart to tell him it looks ridiculous.  However, his brother has but even Jay has given up.  Nick's cuffed pants are just a part of who he is and what he likes so we've all grown to accept it. 
Just tonight I was with Nick in the car when he announced to me he wasn't wearing any underwear!  I knew he was but I decided to play along........."What do you mean you aren't wearing any underwear.  I certaily hope you had underwear on when you went to school this morning."  Nick replied and insisted he didn't have any underwear on and he had told everyone in his class and they too did not believe him.  I'm sure the substitute teacher Nick had today was glad he shared that information with the entire class.  Whether or not he's wearing underwear remains to be seen. 
Last week there was an incident between my boys at school that made me laugh out loud.  Apparently Nick and Jay were passing each other in the hall.  I don't know if Nick was with his class but Jay was with all his friends.  Jay reached out to give Nick's head a pat as he passed by and just when Jay did that...........Nick let the big one rip!  As Jay told it, Nick broke out in gales of laughter, finding it hysterical that he cut the cheese in front of a bunch of 4th grade boys and Jay was mortified!  If I were to guess I would bet there were a few 4th grade girls that were subjected to Nick's big bomb and although Jay wouldn't admit it, girls are starting to get his attention.   As is always the case with Nick, you just never know what he'll do or say next!

No comments: