Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The four wheeling truth

Mike and I had set some school goals for Jay back in August.  Jay struggles in school and despite that, he tries really hard and his hard work has paid off.  But we knew fourth grade would be hard so we wanted to keep him motivated.  As long as he kept up with his work, continued to read nightly, along with some other goals we set out to get him a new four wheeler.  We set up an account and Jay watched the money grow.  Financially it was a good lesson for him because he learned you don't just go out and buy something like that.  Despite all those positive things I was still a little let's say embarassed my 10 year old had such an expensive "toy."  I mean really.  Sure he earned it but again he's only 10.  It just made me a bit uncomfortable.  However, I've softened towards the four wheeler in the last week for several reasons but the biggest reason I've grown to love the four wheeler is the time I spend on it with Jay.  He's so preteen right now and sharing information (with me anyway) has never been one of Jay's strong points.  But I get on that four wheeler with him and he actually chats with me.  He can get me to laugh and I can get him to laugh.  I can actually relax, not lecture him or worry about keeping track of him.  Tonight he took me on a ride through a gorgeous wooded area in our subdivision.  A few times I even got him to smile.  Now that is priceless. 

No comments: