Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Laundry situation

Many days I feel that when I speak Jay only hears nonsense words.  You know like Charlie Brown's teacher?  Jay's laundry is a perfect example.  Here's I work the laundry in my house.  I wash it and fold it and even take it to Jay's room.  All that is required of both boys is to put their laundry away.  Since Nick is 5 (almost 6) I do give him a gentle reminder to put his clothes away and he does.  But since Jay is 10 I'm kind of done giving him reminders.  To me it's simple........see clean laundry on your bed = put it away!  What I've starting doing in the last month is stopped talking and started taking action.  When I put laundry on Jay's bed and if he hasn't put it away by the next day he loses it.  He can earn it back by simply putting his laundry away the next time.  But guess what, he loses it every time. See the laundry I've collected (above)?  The sad thing is he hasn't even noticed.  The other day I took laundry right from his room and walked right by him as I did it.  He was completely oblivious to it.  I always say that Jay is so much like Mike and he is except in this regard.  He has so many characteristics of me at his age.  My mom would walk into my room and my closet and nearly gasp!  I simply didn't care about how I treated my clothes but I sure cared about how I looked so my battle with Jay may be more difficult to win.  He'd run around in a loin cloth, if needed.  Being that Jay usually has to learn things the hard way there is one piece of clothing that would really "wake him up."  It's a 4-H shirt with a big chicken on it!  And trust me folks.............if Jay doesn't start putting away his laundry the only thing that is going to be left in his closet is his 4-H chicken shirt! 

No comments: