Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Reading

I am one happy momma tonight!  First of all I have started reading "Charlotte's Web" with Nick - his request.  He loves it.  When I opened the cover of the book I noticed the inscription inside the book........"Happy Reading, Jay!  Love, Mrs. Sexton."  This book was given to Jay from his first grade teacher (whom has since retired but I have fond memories of.  I like to say she "rocked" his world.  I only wish she was still around to "rock" Nick's world).   I love that after I have finished a chapter I can ask Nick questions about what the chapter is about and he nails it everytime.  That boy may be a fire cracker but he likes to be read to and can comprehend what he hears. 
Jay has read two books back to back that he has really enjoyed.  Granted he's been forced to read these books for school but I don't care.....whatever gets him to read works for me.  He just finished "Jack & Me," about a boy and his dog (perfect fit, huh?).  The other night he finished the book in bed and raced down to the living room to tell Mike and I he had finished the book and it had a sad ending.  Thankfully Jack (the dog) didn't die, he was only injured.  Jay took the test on the book yesterday and got a 90%.  Way to go, Jay!  I did have to chuckle last night because he's now reading a book by Gary Paulsen (a great author especially for young boys) and he's not so crazy about it.  He said his teachers helped him pick it out at the library.  I told Jay to give the book a chance, at least read 25 to 50 pages.  He scrunched up his face and said, "Only you know how to pick out good books for me, Mom."  Another heart warming moment and if I give myself a little credit, he's right.  I know exactly what kind of books Jay will or won't like. I know my boys and I'm sure proud of both of them. 

No comments: