Tuesday, July 9, 2013

I've turned into my mother

Yes, I've turned into my mother but that isn't a bad thing (I love you, mom!).  Sometimes when I'm in the midst of parenting I stop myself and think, "Oh my, I have officially become my mother!"  All those little things she use to do that drove me crazy when I was a kid are now things I do as a mom.  For example, she use to make me sign contracts.  I hated them!  She would also call us out on our bad behavior and trust me I had plenty of that.  So to get to the entire point of my blog last night as I was putting Jay to bed he mentioned he thought his whole summer had been a bust!  Really Jay!  First off it's only early July and secondly Jay has more fun (and yes cheap fun at that) than any 11 year old boy I know.  He's free as a bird and doesn't even realize it.  Did it make my blood boil?  Yes but only for a second and then I'm reminded that he's not that different than I was when I was 11.  So I thought to myself......how would my mother handle this situation.  I calmly kissed Jay good night and got up this morning and typed him a letter (below).  I gave it to him this morning and had him read it out loud to me.  He wasn't happy but apologized to me that he had hurt my feelings - mission accomplished.  Actually he didn't hurt my feeling but I was disappointed in his statement.  What was amusing to me was when Jay was reading my letter he had forgotten half the stuff on the list - imagine that?  Guess Jay's summer isn't such a "bust" after all.  Ha!  


Dear Jay:
I was disappointed to hear you say you feel this summer has been a bust. As an 11 year old boy you are getting to do a lot of activities. You may not realize it but all of these activities take time and money on my end and dad’s end. We are happy to provide you with those activities as long as they are appreciated by you.
I’ve made a list of all the fun things you’ve gotten to do this summer and it’s only July 9.
*Boating & getting to use your wake board
*R.V (ing) coming up this Friday you will go out with your grandparents for 3 days
*sleep overs galore
*You’ve spent time at froggie island almost daily
*fishing
*State Farm Pool for our family reunion. All those dives you took with Quinton.
*Paddle boating. Several of your friends have been out to paddle boat with you which probably then lead to another sleep over.
*Camp fires in the back yard.
*Constant flow of your friends coming over and spending time with you or you with them at their houses.
*Wrestling show with Aaron.
*Two basketball camps with your friends.
*Church camp
This is a pretty good list, Jay. Always remember we love you but we want you to appreciate what you already have. The Lord has provided your dad and I with what we need to take care of you – food, shelter and clothing. Everything else you get to do is just an added bonus – appreciate it!



No comments: