Monday, August 1, 2022

Season of life

Life continues and it's hard but in the challenges there are blessings.  Sweet Mary got mom's house sold (blessing #1).  We close this Friday and I know once we close on the house the burden of the load Kim and I are carrying will lessen.  Mom settled into life at her rehab facility.  It wasn't without many hiccups, however.  I was worried about my sister last week.  Kim would walk into the nursing home every morning and either mom wouldn't have been fed or she'd been fed and not given insulin.  Each and every morning Kim or I are having to brush mom's teeth and get her ready for the day.  Kim goes back to work in 3 short weeks and we will both be consumed with our full time jobs which don't allow us to go into the nursing home every morning and get mom ready for her day.  We meet with the nursing home director this afternoon to develop a care plan and we've called our Aunt Karen to attend with us (blessing #2)
This past weekend our dear cousin, Amber, and my sweet friend, Sarah, helped Kim and I with mom's huge garage sale (blessing #3).  It always amazes me how God provides just the right people you need at just the right time.  Amber is so friendly and helpful.  Sarah is a wheeler and dealer and pulled things out of our sale that we had put a quarter on but were really worth much more than that.  To be honest by the time of the sale Kim and I were done.  We needed Amber and Sarah and their fresh set of eyes and attitude to come in and help us.  They were invaluable to us.  
A bright spot in the weekend was celebrating Jenna and Ryan.  We had a lunch for Jenna and the guys hung out at Joe's house with Ryan (blessing #4).  It was nice to do something "normal" in what has been a rough few weeks.  


 Kim and I laughed on Saturday, like a lot (blessing #5).  We so needed it.  I'm convinced that laughter really does soften the hard seasons of life and we are certainly in a hard season of life.  Mom is doing okay.  Her attitude is good but physically she has a big mountain to climb.  Kim and I are taking it one day at time, doing what we can do each day.  I told Kim many times last week when she was at her breaking point that for that day we did what we could do.  Another challenge I'm having right now is my recovery from Covid.  I'm struggling.  I'm exhausted and still congested.  I know the stress I'm carrying is not helping in my recovery.  Right now my phrase is one day at a time.  I'm reminded of the bible verse from Matthew 6:34, Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own.

No comments: