Thursday, February 5, 2009

Jay & Abe Lincoln

Next week is the 200th birthday of Abe Lincoln so the kids are learning a lot about our 16th president. Jay is really interested in learning about Abe Lincoln. He came home tonight to tell me that Mr. Lincoln's mother died when he was a boy and that one of his hobbies was reading. It was like Jay realized that if Abe Lincoln liked to read then perhaps he too would make reading his new favorite past time (Jay is actually becoming a very good reader and seems to be enjoying it more these days). He's also asked a lot of questions as to why John Wilkes Booth shot the president. I have really enjoyed listening to Jay ask all these questions & seeing how my little 7 year old is really turning into quite the student. I, myself LOVE history so it's been fun for me to see my son enjoying & learning from this part of our history.
Next week on Abe Lincoln's actual birthday the kids can dress up as either Mr. or Mrs. Lincoln. Since Jay is to "into" honest Abe these days I ordered him an actual costume. I'll be sure to post a picture of Jay next week dressed up as Abe Lincoln.

No comments: