Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Consequences

Lately I've felt like my blogs have been kind of lame. Usually my boys give me something funny to blog about. Tonight they provided me with some content that isn't so funny but perhaps will be entertaining to the reader, especially if you're a parent.
Jay and Nick's behavior in the car is beyond RIDICULOUS! I put a lot of the blame on myself as I have let their behavior get out of hand. Jay can't keep his hands to himself and Nick has learned to fight back and the volume between the two of them has reached an all time high. It's the same song and dance everytime we get in the car - I threaten, the boys lose things like their new bikes or Jay's DS, etc..., etc....And I might note, Mike doesn't have a problem with them in his truck and they sit even closer together! But as usual he corrected any problem before it reached the point of insanity, which is usually the case with mom, a.k.a ME! Are you figuring out who the softer parent is? Years of parenting has taught me it doesn't pay to the "softie" parent. But I disgress. Jay did not have football practice tonight so we were going to Kim's to swim. I told the boys as soon as we got in the van that if there was any fighting we would head home. We didn't even make it halfway to Kim's when I heard slapping going on between them and then crying. I simply stopped the van, turned around and headed home. By the time we got home, Jay was in tears. I certainly wasn't going to let the boys go home and ride their bikes (in other words have fun) so their consequence was they both had to clean my van. Nick cleaned the tires and Jay scrubbed the side mirrors and washed all the windows. Better luck next time, hopefully the boys realized it would have been much more fun to swim in Aunt Mimi's pool verses cleaning their mother's van.

1 comment:

Christy Kelson said...

Way to go for following through, Amy. Sometimes it may feel as if you are punishing yourself when you do (I'm sure you would have enjoyed spending time with Kim), but in the long run I would wager that it will pay off in improved car behavior. Jay & Nick - love you to death, but please give Mom a break! :)