Saturday, February 5, 2011

Surrender and be thankful

Even though January and Feb. 1 weren't so great I realized that when I woke up on the morning of Feb. 2 I had much to be thankful for - In all situations give thanks to Him. The blizzard proved to be very scary and stressful. Nick and I had gotten home okay but barely. Mike and Jay couldn't make it home and were stuck in a small town about 12 miles from our home. I was frantic! My mom jokes now it was the most "undone" she had seen me react since high school. Friends came through for us. One of my friends sent her husband out in his four-wheel drive truck to fetch Mike and Jay and he was successful - within 45 minutes they were home. Another friend of mine had offered to invite Mike and Jay into her home if they didn't make it home (she lives in the small town they were stuck in). I was thankful Mike and I spent the money on that huge wood burning fireplace as it kept us warm the night of Feb. 1. The next morning we had been without power for 18 hours when my friend, Erin (Jay is really good friends with her son) sent her husband and father over on snowmobiles - as that was the only way to get in and out of our subdivision at that hour - to pick up both boys so they could go to her house and play. The boys had a ball. They got to play with their friends in a warm house and Erin fed them a warm meal. She kept my kids for six hours and returned them at the exact time our power was restored - now if that isn't God's way then I don't know what is!
I am thankful my sister - although miserable - is holding her own. Every day little Luke stays in utero is a good thing. I am thankful that Jay's staph infection didn't get into his blood stream and he's healing nicely. And even though my job has been stressful I try to get up every morning and thank the Lord I have a job and that Mike and I can provide for our children - because ready, set, go Jay's HUGE medical bills will be arriving any day now.
When I'm actually in a stressful sitution it's hard to be thankful but when they pass and they always do I always try to take a step back and remember there are several things I have to be thankful for.

No comments: