Sunday, May 15, 2011

37 and still doing what I want

It was my 37th birthday this week. It was uneventful (but nice) except something tells me I'll remember my 37th birthday for years to come because it will be the year I was about to make a huge transition in my professional life. As most of you know - because I've written about it - I was a strong willed child but let me tell you I'm an extremely flexible and accomodating adult - total opposite of my childhood personality. I recently read a book by Kendra Smiley about her strong willed child. Her strong willed child who is now her fully functional adult, Aaron, also added tid-bits in the book. He is an adult who listens to reason but isn't afraid to take risks. When I read the book it was March and I had no idea what the months of April and May would bring my way but as I read it I thought to myself, What the heck happened to that strong will of mine? But then April came and my brother in law advised me of this job opening and I wasn't afraid to apply. Then I got a call for the interview and my excitement grew. A week later I got a call with a job offer. Now before I continue I want to be clear that I truly believe the Lord opened doors for me concerning this job and I also want to be clear that I did not take this decision lightly, it was a decision I put a lot of thought into. The truth is no one really does what I'm about to do - no one resigns from the company I work for after they have worked there for 16 years - that's not to say it's never been done but I can tell you it's rare. The bottom line is I explored every option and I wasn't afraid to jump on the opportunity presented to me so the way I see it is age 37 is going to be a whole new world for me but one I am not afraid to conquer. After all, I can still do what I want!

No comments: