Sunday, July 24, 2011

I am thankful........

Before I post what I'm thankful for there's a story that goes with it.  With my thankful posts this month it's been more challenging to write about the crazy things my boys have been doing but this morning they (mostly Nick) provided me with some storytelling that will translate into a thankful post.  We are getting some much needed rain in central Illinois today and for some reason my boys are bored - even though they went boating all day yesterday.  When I went to take my shower this morning Nick followed me.  I shooed him out of the bathroom and locked the door, hoping he'd go away.  Instead he stood outside the door, asking for a play by play of what I was doing.  "Are you washing your hair now, are you using soap now, are you brushing your teeth now and the most asked question of when will you be done so I can come in and keep you company?"  When I got out of the shower Nick asked from outside the door when he would be able to come in.  I replied, after I got dressed.  Then he proceeded to ask me what pieces of clothing I was putting on.  Geez!  Finally I finished dressing and let Nick come in. While I was trying to blow dry my hair he was under my feet getting my hair gel, hair spray and every other hair product I have out and was applying it to his hair.  He even went so far as to fill a cup up with water and dump it over his head - over the toliet so he could "style his hair too."  Every second I was getting more annoyed.  It was hot in the bathroom (I am so far beyond sick of this heat) and I was spending half my time tripping over my 5 year old when suddenly my 9 year old comes in the bathroom and proceeds to get right in front of the mirror (that I'm using) and brush his teeth.  Just when I'm ready to have the big one I stopped and thought of what my life will be like 10 years from now.  Nick will be 15 and Jay will be 19.  Jay could possibly be out of the house by then - something I don't even like to think about, let alone write - and Nick at age 15 will not want to be in the bathroom, keeping me company, while I do my hair.  So as annoying as they both may have been this morning I am thankful that for now they still like to have me around and "keeping me company."

1 comment:

Christy said...

So true, Amy. So true.