Sunday, February 12, 2012

Archery, Guns, Video Games, Knives & Four wheelers......oh my!

My title describes Jay's favorite things right now and when I say favorite thing I mean FAVORITE things.  He's consumed by them - in no particular order.  Jay is a typical fourth grader.  He plays sports, works hard in school, has a few good friends that he likes to spend time with but his greatest loves right now are archery, guns, video games, knives & four wheelers.  His dad got him into archery and it's been very positive.  Jay and Mike spend time at an archery place where they can shoot their bows.  When the weather gets nicer they will spend time in our back yard.  I've learned that a fascination with guns comes with the territory with having boys.  Jay has his own BB gun and again he and Mike love to target shoot with their guns.  I'm just thankful that Jay has a responsible, mature parent who handles guns safely and is teaching Jay the same thing. Jay is also obsessed with collecting knives.  As his mother and a woman, I don't get it but then why do we women have so many shoes?  I know the answer to that but show me a man who gets that.  Honestly the only hobby Jay has right now that could eventually become a problem is video games.  He got an I Pod Touch for xmas and he's on it constantly!  In fact Mike and I finally commented to one another it is time for us to set some limits with that crazy touch.  However it has worked to my advantage in terms of consequences right now.  When Jay gets in trouble, guess what is the first thing to get taken away? 
As Jay gets older I find it gets harder.  I am not interested in any of the things he's interested in right now so I find it harder to connect with him but I certainly keep trying.  He has asked me several times to start archery with him and Mike and although this doesn't really excite me I'm going to do it as it's something I can do with Jay and it's something we can talk about - another challenge with Jay these days - conversation!  As I always have said.........giving birth to Jay was easier than getting information out of him. 

No comments: