Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Math A Thon

A few weeks ago Nick came home from school excited about a math a thon.  This was an extra circular activity that was voluntary and Nick was all about it!  I'm ashamed to admit it but for a couple of days I ignored his requests to sign the permission slip as I was hoping he'd forget about it.  He didn't.  He kept at me so finally one night I sat down and read what this activity required.  Each student who participates would have to get pledges for St. Jude.  Once I read St. Jude I first felt guilty that I had discouraged Nick from doing it and then I was proud of Nick for wanting to do it because he was just as enthusiastic about collecting pledges as he was about doing the math for the math a thon.  How it works is each student is given a math booklet (at their level) and they have until March 15 to complete it.  As they are working in their booklet they are also suppose to be collecting pledges.  Thus far we've gotten a pledge from my mom and her friend, Leslie.  Thanks you two! 
I'm proud of Nick.  Just tonight he spent about 15 minutes on his classroom homework and he's been working on his math a thon book for the last 30 minutes.  He never ceases to make me smile (but don't get me wrong he can also send me from 0-60 in no time flat).  Thanks Nick for opening my eyes to what is good and educational all at the same time. 

No comments: