Friday, February 17, 2012

The Diary

This week my mom uncovered my old diaries.  I started a diary when I was 10 and kept writing in it through high school.  It's interesting to me my mom just found this diary since I now have my own child who is 10!  I have gotten such a charge from reading it especially during my younger years.  I have laughed out loud because every entry I made when I was 10 was how every day was fun and I ended each entry with "It was a great day!"  Isn't that how it should be for every 10 year old boy and girl?  It was such an age of innocence and I'm so thankful to my parents for that.  I did notice a common theme.  A constant was my friend, Melissa.  I must have mentioned her name 100-some times from the time I started my diary until it ended in high school and we are still friends.  Another common theme was my weight.  Big shocker there.  I would never say I was ever obsessed with my weight but it was on my mind - even at 10!  I was always trying to watch my weight and I mentioned it several times.  Some things never change.  Another theme was my sense of humor.  My sense of humor was and has always been a positive characisteric of mine and I'm glad it's never left me. 
I laughed out loud at a diary entry I made when I was 14.  I had finished an all day babysitting job and I swore I would never had kids - ever!  Apparently the babysitting job had done me in.  In high school I apparently had my life planned out as I was not going to get married until my late 20's (I was 23).  Then I wasn't going to have kids untilI was in my late 30's (I was 28 when I had Jay) and the funniest of all.......I wanted to be a cop!  Being a cop is a far cry from what I actually do for a living, a claims adjuster.  The only thing a cop and a claims adjuster have in common is they both start with the letter "C." 
One thing is for sure I enjoyed writing from a young age.  My blog is now my diary and in another 20 years I will read my blog books and get the same enjoyment from them as I have from my childhood diaries. 

As a side note.  One thing I did find sad was the fact that due to modern technology how many kids have/keep diaries now?  I have boys (and Jay doesn't like to write) so even if they were born 20 years ago I can't see either of them keeping up with a diary but I'm curious how many young girls keep diaries in this age of Ipod touches, lap tops, etc.....

No comments: