Sunday, February 17, 2013

My love/hate relationship

 Basketball is winding down.  We had an all day tournament yesterday.  It was a long day and every second of it was spent at the school watching ball and selling concessions which leads me into the title of my blog.  I really do have a love/hate relationship with sports.  Sometimes I hate that it can be so relentless and often times I think parents take it way too seriously.  I mean really......the kids are in 5th grade!  But on the flip side as a mother of two boys I don't know what we'd do if our boys weren't involved in sports.  They desperately need that outlet.  Jay has been actively involved in sports since 3rd grade.  Nick isn't there yet but I'm sure he will be.  Sports has not only given Jay that "outlet" but it's taught him teamwork and I've even seen his social skills improve.  He's reached out to teammates during a game, chatted with parents after games and discussed strategies with his coach - all good things.  My only dislike is it can take up so much of your time.  Sometimes I think it's overkill for kids who are still in elementary school.  But that being said I know these days will soon be over.  In a blink of an eye Mike and I will no longer be spending out Saturdays at basketball games.  We'll no longer be selling concessions and I truly do enjoy it.  Even though we're at a basketball tournament all day, we're together as a family.  After the games yesterday all the parents, kids and coaches went out for dinner and it was so nice.  I like the group of parents and I like their kids.  So although it was a long day I really did enjoy it.
 My camera is really not made to take these kinds of pictures.  But I tried to get some shots of Jay in action.  Jay has improved so much this year.  I love watching him zip down that basketball court to steal the ball.  Sure he fouls (a lot of the time) but it's sure fun to watch.
                                                                Get the rebound, Jay!
 Just a few of the boys.  They lost all 3 of their games (bummer) but they played two of them really well and that's all that matters.
 There's a whole other story associated with Nick and the basketball games.  Nick would go to games and come home with money.  The kid is destined to be a politician.  I kid you not.  He would either sell his artwork or clean.  One night when he sold his art work he came home with $2.50.  All day yesterday he helped clean and sweep and he came home with $5 last night!!!!  Nick's greatest gift is his gift of gab.  He's so funny but how he ends up with more money than he came with is still a mystery to me.  However, to his credit he really was quite the helper yesterday.  In between games he would take his giant broom out to the floor and wipe it down.  What a helper, Nick!
Here's a few of the boys with their coach, Erin, watching the other team, who won the tournament, get presented with the trophy!  It was a good day!

No comments: