Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Living off the land

I wasn't sure what to call this title, "Wrap up of 5th grade" or "Living off the land."  I opted for the later - mostly because it describes Jay perfectly.  He is 100% boy.......maybe even more than 100%.  He loves everything that is boy.....hunting, fishing, being outside, riding his bike and playing sports.  He really is into "living off the land."  He caught the two bass above and with Mike's help filleted them and Yes, we'll eat them.  Last week I took Jay into "the city" to get his hair cut.  Within 10 minutes he was complaining saying he wanted to go home, "the city" made him uncomfortable.  I joke with him that maybe one day he'll be living in the city with the girl of his dreams.  He says No Way!  One never knows but this momma would be surprised to see her living off the land boy living in the confines of the city.  Jay needs and desires wide open spaces.
Fifth grade will officially be over this Friday.......it's bittersweet.  I remember vividly taking Jay to Kindergarten and next year he'll be at the middle school.  All in all fifth grade has been positive.  It was a rough start but ended well.  His teacher told me just last week that Jay has been doing a lot better with staying organized and on top of things.  Jay is still highly impulsive and I would say his impulsively is what gets him in trouble every time but that being said he's also very mature.  He continues to pick good friends and I'm pleased because thus far he's surrounded himself with christian friends.  Jay's quiet nature is just that, quiet but recently he had us all in gales of laughter when he did an imitation of Mike using his smart phone - hilarious!  I am enjoying watching Jay learn more about Jesus and starting to develop a relationship with Him.  What has been most challenging for me this year is accepting that our relationship is changing and I mean really changing.  I am thankful that he insists I still put him to bed at night.  We spend a few quick minutes chatting and anytime I can sneak in a hug, I do!

No comments: