Monday, December 2, 2013

The art of normalcy

This blog literally just came to me as I was cleaning up after dinner tonight.  Tonight is our only night this week at home with no activities.  I tend to make a good meal on those "no activity nights."  It is true I usually strike out with one of my dishes and tonight it was the mushroom pilaf.  I knew it was not going to be a hit when even I thought it smelled like a zoo as I was making it.  I have to just laugh about it because it's all just part of the normalcy of my house - my boys getting a good laugh and jibe in at something I've made that is not so good (although things have improved greatly since I've become BFF's with The Pioneer Woman).  As I was doing the dishes after dinner I could hear Mike and the boys "practicing" basketball moves together in the basement.  I could hear Mike coaching Jay and being so intentional in the time he was spending with him.  Out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of my 12 ft xmas tree that is only decorated 6 feet up (we're getting there) and honestly I'm in no hurry to finish it.  I see my house that is still a work in progress and to me it's all so normal.  I have close friends who are having marriage problems and health problems, just to name a few and it's made me stop and just be thankful for each and everyday my life is normal - not perfect but just normal.  I try to always be thankful but I know I'm not as thankful as I should be.  If I've learned anything in my 39 years it's that your life can change in an instant. You have no idea what tomorrow will bring or what obstacles are coming your way.  The only constant I'm certain of is God's love for me.  So today I am thankful for my normal life, the love of my husband, the laughter of my children and the roof over my head - even if I have a leaky roof, a half decorated Christmas tree and no master bath, it's all just the normal that is part of my life and I am thankful. 

No comments: