Tuesday, August 19, 2014

The last 24 hours

I can only describe the last 24 hours in one word - CRAZY!  There was a reason I was so sad to see the summer end by the end of July. During this season of my life I have to remember to be patient and give myself a break every once in awhile.  I am always so thankful for my job and it's flexibility.  I'm not sure how I would have handling our schedules if I still had a one hour daily commute.  The boys started school yesterday which was a success (yeah, mission accomplished there).  When Nick got home from school he relaxed for a bit and I finished working then I started preparing meals.  I know the day will come when I don't spend half my life in the kitchen but these days if I'm not working I'm in the kitchen, preparing a meal.  And not just any meal.  When you have two boys in sports and a hungry husband you have to get creative.  I have meatball sandwiches, chicken pasta, hot roast beef sandwiches (thank you, pioneer woman) and smoothies.  Boys are always wanting to eat.  It's a full time job trying to keep them fed and full.  At about 5:15 we start the entire process of getting Nick dressed for football which sometimes I feel you need a special degree for.  There's the "cup" which I don't get involved in, the pads, the shoulder pads, the helmet, the mouth piece - the list goes on and on.  At 5:30 we left for football.  I enjoy taking Nick to football because it's the only time I get to exercise and read.  I spend that 90 minutes doing just that and it's nice.  Meanwhile I have transportation lined up with my friend, Laura, for Jay.  She brings him home from XC.  Jay and Mike eat a meal together that I prepared before I left the house.  Nick and I get home at 8:00 and that's when the real "fun" begins.  I want to hear about Jay's day and Nick wants to tell Mike about football so the volume in the house is a little loud.  Jay & I are trying to figure out the best way to organize his school work.  Mike interjects that he doesn't agree with what we're doing which prompts Jay to say, "Dad, school has changed since 1969 when you were in school."  Oh and just so you know, Mike was born in 1972.  Somehow I manage to get Nick fed, help Jay get organized for his next day of school, direct both boys to get showers - while Mike is giving the dogs showers first.  The boys were in bed by 9:00 which in my opinion for a 3rd graders is too late but it's the best I can do.  Ha!  If this blog seems like I'm complaining, I'm not - really, I'm not.  Although this season of my life is challenging, I do enjoy it.  I love seeing my boys active in sports, I love seeing them get excited about school and to be honest I kind of like seeing myself in action but again I try to be aware that I burn out quickly so I try to balance it all for me and my family.  So here's to another season of my life. 

No comments: