Saturday, August 2, 2014

Home Sweet Home

Jay is home!  Hallejah!  By mid week I was really missing him.  His trip was awesome and I enjoyed hearing all about it.  He worked in a poverty stricken neighborhood doing odd jobs; painting, yard work, etc...  A few highlights of his trip:  He said there was one house they painted where a single mother of 4 kids lived.  He said she was so appreciative of the work the kids did.  Jay said it felt "really good" to help others.  CIY (Christ in Youth) brought in a minister from Orlando, FL to speak to the kids this week.  Jay loved his humor.  Right before Jay left he was bothered that he couldn't find a bible verse that spoke to him.  He felt like everyone had a favorite bible verse except for him.  I smiled when he told me this because I didn't find my favorite verse until I was 39!!  Anyway when he came home he hadn't found a verse but a saying.  I don't know who said it but it spoke to him.  It was about prayer and how everyday we wake up we are at war without a weapon.  Prayer is our armor that God gives us.  It's something along those lines. 
I remember my missions trips and the bonds I formed with the other kids that went.  Jay went on this trip without anyone associated from school and to me, that was a good thing.  It exposed him to different kids from different schools - Yes, city boys!  LOL!  He formed strong bonds with these boys this week and they had lots of laughs together.  As for Nick, every day that went by he was indifferent about his brother being gone.  However, by Friday he was exceptionally grouchy but I couldn't pin point why until his brother walked in the door last night.  Jay opened the door and Nick ran through the kitchen, jumped into his brother's arms and wrapped his arms and legs around Jay and would not let go.  Jay returned the embrace with a smile and proceeded to walk into the house with his little brother wrapped around him.  It was at that moment I figured out why Nick was so grouchy - he missed his brother.  Jay and Nick stuck together like glue last night.  When I went to bed last night they were camped out together in Jay's room playing Battleship together.  Needless to say I went to bed with a smile on my face last night.  Thank you God!

No comments: