Sunday, September 21, 2014

The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree

Jay and I don't laugh at the same jokes.  He doesn't like people nearly as much as I do.  Jay is introverted, I am extroverted.  Jay likes late nights.  I'm asleep by 9:00 (and trust me, the same was true when I was his age).  However, as Jay has grown I've noticed he's more like me than I may have realized and unfortunately he got one of my not so appealing characteristics.  I have to learn things the hard way.  I like to think that as I've aged this character flaw has improved but with Jay I know he has a long road ahead of him.  Jay has had his four wheeler for several years now.  Mike bought him a top of the line four wheeler in the hopes that as far as maintenance, there wouldn't be much.  Well that hasn't really happened.  Mike has put many, many hours into fixing Jay's four wheeler and LOTS of money on replacement parts due to Jay's negligence.  Mike has made it clear to Jay through the years that if he notices something isn't right, like the chain rattling or the brakes squeaking, all he needs to do is tell Mike and he'll fix it.  Mike's hope was Jay would pay attention to the condition of his four wheeler and tell Mike about problems before he would need a whole new back end, new brakes, new suspension (the list goes on and on).  Most of the problems with the four wheeler have come from the abuse it's taken from its owner (A.K.A Jay).  This weekend Mike very calmly (that's what I love about Mike) explained to Jay the four wheeler is now his entire responsibility.  Mike said he's not laying another hand on the beast!  He explained that Jay will need to figure out how to fix it, figure out the cost of the parts and purchase them himself.  Yesterday Jay attempted to start the big project (notice the manual laying open on the back).  Mike was right in his decision.  Jay needs to "feel" this in order to finally figure out all the work it takes to fix it and all the money it takes to keep it running and perhaps if he's able to figure it out and come up with the money, my bet is he'll treat it like a million bucks because he'll finally "get it."  Jay comes by this "default" naturally.  My mom spent countless hours coming up with ways so I could "feel the pain."    It was the only way I truly figured things out and understood the consequences of my actions.  As a parent it's hard because it's exhausting and there are some children you can just tell them something and they understand the reason behind it and wa-la they get it but I was not that kind of kid and neither is Jay.  What can I say, the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree after all!

No comments: