Thursday, August 18, 2016

Learning Curve

Let it not be said that I don't learn something from a major life event.  Several months ago I blogged about what I learned during Mike's job loss and here I am again.  Some things I have to just look up to God and say, "Really God, I had to learn that again!!!!"  But here I am and some of the things I learned are new to me and other things, not so much but they were good reminders.

Compassion.  I try to always think of others but compassion was one thing I learned loud and clear.  My heart will forever be sensitive and compassionate when it comes to injuries and health issues.  I plan on taking the upmost care of my family if and when they encounter any health issues.

Never take your mobility for granted - enough said.

Advocate.  20 years ago my dad sustained a life changing injury.  At the young age of 46 he suffered a brain tumor which required major surgery and after the surgery he had a stroke which left his right arm  unusable and his right leg weakened and none of us knew it at the time, but when we talked with dad before his surgery, those were the last words we would ever hear him speak - at least real words that made sense.  I was a 22 year old college student at the time.  I wished I would have advocated more for my dad.  I wish there would have been a better outcome for him.  I spent a lot of time thinking about my dad during my recovery and as I move forward I plan to visit him more and be more compassionate.  I learned that when you're faced with a health issue and my situation was just an issue, not a crises, one must have someone in their corner advocating for them.  Patients get too bogged down in their worry and need someone who is in their corner, advocating for them.

I learned I do entirely too much for my boys.  Yes, it's true.  As they weeks wore on, I saw my boys become more self sufficient and I liked it.  Good habits were formed the last 6 weeks in terms of the boys being more self sufficient and that my friends, is a good thing. 

And finally, this isn't so much what I learned but more of advice.  People were so great in telling me that if I needed anything to just ask.  The problem is, I was too overwhelmed to think about what I needed and as the weeks wore on, depression set in.  My dear friends, Sarah and Jenny, took charge one day.  They knew I was in despair.  They gave me notice they were coming to take me to a movie so I had at least showered but when they showed up, they had groceries in tow.  They stocked my fridge.  That was such a wonderful and appreciated gift.  Sometimes when people are living through a crises (and again my situation was not a crises) or are in despair, they don't know what they want or need so just show up with dinner already made, call before you go to the grocery store to see what they need.  Call and invite their kids over for an afternoon or simply bring over ice cream one night (as my dear friend, Jami did).  Speaking from my own experience I didn't really want to come out and ask people what I needed or wanted so those times when things were just done for me were so appreciated. 

No comments: