Thursday, August 18, 2016

Thankful

I realize some of my past blogs were not very uplifting.  Overall I have a thankful disposition but being thankful the past 6 weeks was really challenging for me.  However, now that some light is shining through the gray skies there are many things I am thankful for these last several weeks.  First I'm so thankful for my family, specifically my mom and Mike.  My mom took care of me as only a mother can.  Nothing I asked of her was too much and more importantly she listened to me at my worst day in and day out.  Mike's presence around the house was a gift.  As the days turned into weeks, we all wished he had more work and we felt the tension of dealing with my injury and trying to get a business of the ground but his daily presence was a gift, which is the exact same gift I was able to give him this winter.  Funny how things come around full circle.  I am so thankful for coffee.  I know, crazy!  But when I was using the crutches I couldn't make myself coffee.  Once I got the knee scooter I could make coffee but I had to drink it in the living room, with Mike, while watching a car show.  Now I can make my coffee and enjoy it in my office, while I'm checking emails and getting ready to start my day.  I am so thankful to take a bath (I so missed taking a bath while I was non weight bearing) and I'm thankful to finally be able to drive.......by myself!  Coffee, baths and driving are all things I took for granted but they are all part of things that give me pleasure during my days and they were all things that were briefly taken away from me.  I'm also thankful that I'm back in control of my kids' daily activities.  Trust me when I tell you I am not a control freak but I hate relying on other people to shuttle my kids around because they are my responsibility.  I hated not being able to be really engaged with them during my injury.  I let pain from my injury and health concerns unintentionally consume me and I felt so out of touch with the boys during the last 6 weeks.  I was thankful my injury occurred at a time where things were quiet with our family because had this injury occurred now, it would really be stressful.  I would be relying on others to get the boys to school, get them picked up from the bus stop, get them to and from practices and the list goes on and on.  I know people would help me but I so hate asking.  I am thankful I'm on the road to recovery, even though it's slower than I would like.  My biggest obstacle now is my blood clot.  My leg is a disaster but I'll get there with a thankful heart. 

No comments: